Sunday, December 2, 2012

5 Days Post-Op

Today is the day that I am finally feeling well enough to update my blog. I am 5 days post-op. I am already down  6.4 Lbs. I am still swollen so the numbers won't reflect the actual loss until probably around 2 weeks post-op. Still, seeing a 6.4 loss is encouraging. 

DAY OF SURGERY- TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 27TH:
The morning of the 27th I was at the hospital at 6 AM. The chaplain met with us and said a prayer lifting up the people who were having major surgeries that day. It was very comforting to have someone there willing to do that for us. After our prayer the nurses came out and got me. They took me back to the pre-operative area and had me change into a gown and set me up on an IV. Once we were done with that they allowed Anthony to come back and sit with me until it was time to go to Anesthesia. They asked him to hug and kiss me goodbye, and the next thing I know, my anesthesiologist gave me something in my IV and I was instantly feeling loopy. Anthony left as they rolled me to the OR. The last thing I remember was a lot of people and machines surrounding me in a very bright room. Nurses were all saying my name loudly, and then I fell completely asleep.

Next thing I know, I'm waking up to a doctor and a male nurse in my room. This ended up being my ICU room where I would be the rest of my 3 days stay. I was groggy and in and out of sleep. I can't really recall what the nurse and doctors were doing. Once I was finally awake enough and was conscience for more than 10 minutes at a time, they allowed Anthony to come back and see me. I looked a hot mess, but I was so happy to have him near me and holding my hand again.

That day I slept a lot and ended up walking a few laps in the ICU hallways with Anthony and my nurses help. I wasn't able to have anything to drink, and I had a catheter and an IV allowing me to intake and release fluids. I slept good, for about an hour at a time. I had to have my blood pressure and blood sugar taken every hour. I had high blood sugar and so I was out in an insulin drip for a good majority of my hospital stay. I was given a blood thinner every few hours and had massagers on my legs to prevent blood clots. Anthony was not allowed to stay overnight in the ICU but they did allow him every day from 6AM - 10PM.


WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 28TH:
This was the morning of my swallow study. The purpose of the swallow study was to make sure that there were no leaks in my pouch and to ensure that I would successfully be able to intake fluids. I had to drink a solution in front of an X-Ray machine. This liquid completely filled me up in 2 sips and I was required to take six. It had the taste and consistency of liquid laundry detergent. It was a wonder that it didn't make me throw up. They took several X-Rays of my pouch as I was drinking and my results came out perfect. The next hour I began drinking protein supplements and lots of fluids. I was also walking a lot more the second day in preparation to hopefully go home the following day. My catheter was also taken out and I waited to use the bathroom for the first time on my own. It was a difficult task and I required assistance from Anthony.

The night of the 28th was particularly hard on me as I got mucus stuck in the back of my throat and I was required to cough it up. I had to hold a pillow close to my stomach while attempting to cough it up for  over an hour and I experienced some of the worst pain I had had since being out of surgery. It was even harder on me that Anthony was not allowed to be there.




THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 29TH:
This was the day that I would eventually come home. I was taken off of my insulin, oxygen, and IV pain medication. I started taking my oral medication and I was keeping down fluids. It was basically a waiting game. This day also had a pretty big challenge. My fluid bag had to be removed from my upper right incision before I could go home, and my left middle incision had to be probed. I am extremely squeamish when it comes to wounds, blood, pretty much anything nasty. Thankfully, my husband is an Army Medic and Certified EMT. He was there for the demonstration so that it could be done at home. I don't know what I would do without him! We finally received our clearance and I was sent home!


COMING HOME:
Coming home has felt great. I have had my ups and downs while being here. Mainly the hardest thing it taking in the necessary amount of protein and fluids without being nauseous or getting unmanageable gas bubbles. I was able to shower for the first time, which was very hard. Anthony showered with me to help me along. I think today I may be able to take one without assistance. I gain new range of motion every day and I am feeling healthier already. I am very pleased with the outcome so far.  I call tomorrow to schedule my 10-day check up and they will determine if I am ready to have my staples removed then. I will update probably on Tuesday with profile photos and updated weight, even though by then it still may not be accurate.


Photographs of things mentioned in the post are located in the post below. For some reason Blogger is messing up my formatting of photos today. Frustrating!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment