Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Psychological Evaluation

I had my final psychiatrist appointment on Monday, October 8th. At this appointment we went over all of my assessment answers. They have you take a few different self-help tests and then your answers are compared to 700 other bariatric patients answers. The reasoning for this is to see where you rank among other people ranging from good to poor. In each 4 areas of my testing I ranked good in three and average in one. I was also screened for depression / suicidal personality and eating disorders. Because I showed no signs of either, I passed my evaluation not needing any additional education or therapy regarding my bypass. I got a letter to give to my surgeon stating that I have no psychological contradictions to surgery and no problems that could impair my ability to voluntarily consent for surgery and comply with all pre and post - operative requirements. He also states that my ability to benefit from the procedure and maintain the lifestyle changes necessary for long term success are good.

This was the BIG appointment. Whether the psychiatrist thinks you are ready or not is the biggest obstacle in the bariatric program. If he says that you aren't ready you will have to take more classes than what is already required and will have to go to therapy until the problems are fixed, which can take a very long time. Because I am a "First - Time - Go" I was able to schedule my Final Clearance appointment.

The final clearance appointment is the very last appointment before you come in for surgery and is when you schedule your surgery date. My surgeon, Dr. Mayfield, said that scheduling is anywhere from 2-4 weeks out from your final clearance date. I am hoping to schedule my appointment for November 19th or 20th, right as my husband, Anthony, gets home from training at NTC. I know that it is right before Thanksgiving and Christmas time, the time of year we eat the most, but the sooner I get it the better. I don't want to wait and then have to deal with deployment stress and the stresses of being a bariatric patient all at the same time early next year.

I am going to take the first available surgery date after my husband gets home from NTC.

No comments:

Post a Comment